Monday, July 5, 2010

Roast Five Spice Pork Belly





I was craving for a good Roast Pork Belly and decided to go to Sam Woo Restaurant  (located in Van Nuys, CA), where they serve roasted pork, ducks, chicken etc. The roast pork was very dry and the skin was no longer crunchy - because we arrived there late afternoon and all the good parts were gone. Otherwise Sam Woo always has good Roast Pork -  I suggest to get there early lunch to avoid disappointments. Since my craving for good roast pork was not satisfied, I decided to try to make my own Five Spice Roast Pork Belly...the recipe is as follows: 

Ingredients:

4 lbs Pork Belly with Ribs (sliced into 3 pieces)
1 tsp five spice powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
10 cloves of fresh chopped garlic
1 tsp Vegetable Oil (for basting)




I placed the pork belly inside a ziploc bag with the chopped garlic cloves and kept it in the refrigerator overnight.


I remove the chopped garlic and mixed the Black Pepper and Five Spice Powder together. 

I used the mixture to rub all over my pork belly (season with salt according to taste) and then I placed it in the skewers to start the Rotisserie.






I basted the meat with vegetable oil (one time) to brown the skin and meat evenly.







Checked the skin after an hour when the skin is soft - I used the tip of the knife to prick the skin all over to make the skin crispy.




After 2 1/2 hours the skin had a perfect crisp and evenly cooked. I removed it from the skewers and let the meat rest for 10minutes before slicing.


The finished product is what I have been craving for, the meat was tender and moist - the skin was to die for (crispy and tasty)

No comments:

Post a Comment